Shrimp with Okra and Chickpeas
Shrimp with Okra and Chickpeas cooked in coconut milk, well seasoned with Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce and Noubess Fish Seasoning. The perfect shrimp with a vegetable dish to serve with white rice, farro, and bulgur wheat.
Adding the right amount of seasoning to the shrimp recipe is important
We can agree that both shrimp and okra need salt to taste good. With the right amount of seasoning blend, you can add flavor to this dish. I particularly like a seafood blend over a salt seasoning blend. Seafood seasoning blend sometimes has a lover sodium count, and many are salt-free but still tasty.
For this recipe, I opted to add salt. I don’t usually add salt in many of my stews because I prefer to control the sodium when everything is mixed together. Did you know that many ingredients contain natural salt? Yes, they do. For example, spinach and celery are often used as salt substitutes in cooking. The sodium content is not high, but it is still noticeable with people who are on a low sodium diet.
The shrimp recipe
Let start with fresh shrimp. Cleaned, deveined, and with tail on, that’s the way to use them in this recipe. I opted to leave the tail on for flavoring. The shrimp are seasoned with sweet paprika and Noubess Fish Seasoning and Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce. The shrimp are cooked first and added at the end.
Sweet paprika adds a nice subtle taste of smokiness. It is not sweet as you might think, but slightly spicy. It is a great spice to use with seafood and poultry.
Noubess Fish Seasoning does not contain salt and that how I like most of my seasoning mix. The reason is again that I like to control my own sodium intake. I come from a family that suffers from hypertension. So I am accustomed to a low salt diet.
Tomatoes and onion always add tons of flavoring. Okra, as you might know, tends to be a bit slimy when overcooked cooked. That’s why I chose to use frozen cut okra. It cooks fast and is convenient.
Side dishes option to enjoy with this dish.
Shrimp with Okra and Chickpeas
- 1 lb medium-size shrimp shelled and deveined
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Noubess Fish and Seafood Seasoning
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can Organic Garbanzo Beans
- 1 cup okra frozen and thawed
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- 1 tsp Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce
- Salt to taste
- Clean the shrimp and pat dry and place them in a bowl. Season with Noubess Fish Seasoning and paprika. In a large skillet, heat the oil to medium-low. Add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes turning over so all both sides are pink. Remove and place it in a plate.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, add chopped onion and diced tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes. Add chickpeas. Mix the coconut milk with Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce. Pour the coconut mixture in the pan. Mix all ingredients together. Season with salt to taste, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 7 – 10 minutes until the okra pieces are cooked but still crunchy.
- Add shrimp, mix, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and serve immediately with your preferred side dish.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.