Are you tired of eating your Sunday dinner leftovers? Here’s one of my favorites dish, Spicy Chicken with Cabbage, Spinach, and Carrot.
The chicken takes about one hour to marinate if you did not prepare it the night before, and only uses one skillet. The poultry is slowly cooked with the marinade, add a couple of tablespoons of fresh herbs and spices mixture, and your vegetables, and let all the flavors come together.
Start this recipe the night before to save time. Clean the chicken, add your spices and a favorite condiment in the Haitian community, Pikliz! Place the prepared chicken in the refrigerator until the next day. When ready, make sure that the chicken is at room temperature before cooking.
The chicken is cooked first in its marinade and browned a bit in the pan. Finish off with more fresh herbs, add fresh vegetables and fresh tomatoes and you have a meal to serve with your preferred rice.
Cabbage, spinach, and carrot are the vegetables of choice because their flavors enhance the chicken. I usually use fresh tomatoes by choice instead of tomato paste for freshness.
The recipe takes hardly any special prep time. The only work is cleaning the chicken well and chopping the vegetables.
The spicy taste comes from the Pikliz, a condiment widely used in our uncooked meals and instead of the traditional hot sauce. The chicken is hot and spicy because of the hot peppers in the Pikliz.
By the way, the name of the recipe, Spicy Chicken with Cabbage, Spinach, and Carrot gives the impression that the dish is very hot. It is not! It will be if you use a lot of Pikliz.
Bonus! You can use any other types of vegetables you wish. But be mindful of cooking time. Cabbage, spinach, and carrot don’t take long to cook. Just enough for the spicy chicken to cook!
By the way, white rice is one of the favorite side dishes to serve this meat dish. The rice soaks up the sauce of the chicken and the veggies very well. No need for beans sauce. You can also serve it with boiled root vegetables.
A complete meal for any weeknight when you want a spicy and perfect meal.
- 6 to 8 pieces of chicken legs and thighs
- 1 lime or 1/3 cup vinegar to clean chicken pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped finely or minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/4 cup Pikliz
- 2 tablespoons ground green spices
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh juicy tomatoes chopped or diced (grapevine tomatoes or campari tomatoes) or 2 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 1 bunch or 1 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean chicken with lemon, lime or vinegar. Create a water bath with water and vinegar or rub lime or lemon on each chicken pieces. Rinse with water and pat dry and place in a bowl.
- Add onion, garlic, pikliz, salt and pepper to chicken and mix well. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and let the chicken marinate at least one hour or overnight for flavor enhancement.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil, add chicken with marinate and let cook for 10 minutes on medium to high heat.
- Add ground spices, fresh tomatoes or tomato paste, cumin and mix well. Add cabbage, spinach, and carrot and stir to incorporate all the flavors.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover. Stirring occasionally, cook the chicken for about 20 to 30 minutes or until cook through. Add salt and pepper or season to taste, cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice or boiled root vegetables like yam and plantains.