If you like a tasty sweet potato dish and an excellent red kidney beans recipe, you will love this dish. Sweet Potatoes (also called yam) and Red Kidney Beans Fricassee is relatively simple to make and economical. It is a straightforward recipe you can make in minutes if you want to serve it as a side dish.
I find this dish to be a great alternative to everyday meals for the holidays. It does not take a long time to make, and everyone will be amazed at how those two ingredients complement each other.
Holiday meals are usually the same because many people only cook typical dishes on these occasions.
Why cook it only on holidays only?
Is it a holiday dish?
A sweet potato dish is a must during the holidays. I find myself sometimes cooking or baking sweet potatoes or yams, as some people may call it, anytime throughout the year, not because I like sweet potatoes but because of the health benefits.
It’s good to know the benefits of sweet potatoes
There are some amazing articles on the web that will explain these benefits. But let me share this great tip with you. Ground cumin and ground fennel are best friends with sweet potatoes. No kidding! Try it, and you will see. Don’t forget to research the benefits of both yams and beans.
The recipe is easy enough to prepare. Boil the potatoes, and slowly pan fry them in spices and add the beans and it’s done. You have an exceptional dish with two healthy main ingredients. Happy cooking!
- 4 large sweet potatoes yam
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 – 15.5 oz red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin or ground fennel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon/lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon or lime zest
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash sweet potatoes, remove skin and cut into 2-inch cubes. Add sweet potatoes and salt into a pan and add cold water until fully covered. Bring to a boil and let the potatoes cook but still firm. Immediately remove from boiling water to avoid overcooking and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add oil, garlic, and onion. Let cook while stirring for about 1– 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and let pan-fry for about 3 – 5 minutes. Add drained and rinsed red kidney beans, ground cumin or ground fennel, lemon/lime zest, and parsley and stir to incorporate. Let mixture cook for about 3-4 minutes on low to medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve warm.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.