The Easiest BLT Sandwich Recipe
A Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich, also known as BLT sandwich, is easy to make and delicious to eat anytime during the day or for a late snack.
Can we agree that nothing can go wrong with this sandwich? This recipe is by far one of the most delicious sandwiches recipes anyone can make and not mess it up. It is pretty simple to make and requires minimal effort.
At home, we usually eat turkey bacon and not pork bacon. But once in a while, we buy uncured pork bacon that is supposedly better than regular bacon. We buy uncured pork bacon from the supermarket because we want to avoid nitrates, loads of sodium, and preservatives. Not to say that the uncured is safer, but we try to cheat in a good way.
Bacon is not an ingredient that is common in the Caribbean. Mostly everything is served, and eating fresh and curing meat is not a primary specialty. We mostly cure fish and certain types of seafood, such as conch meat.
What is a BLT Sandwich?
So a BLT Sandwich, as mentioned before, is bacon, lettuce, tomato with some mayonnaise spread splattered on the bread. The bread usually consists of 2 slices of hearty bread or, for the more extravagant taste buds, artisan bread or French Baguette.
How to make an easy Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich.
Although it is not mentioned in the name, the first ingredient should be bread. The bread cannot be too soft; it must be toasted and sliced. The following ingredients are needed to make the tastiest sandwich.
- Bread: hearty, usually white bread is used. You can also use a multi grain bread. A type of bread with a hint of honey makes this sandwich so flavorful .
- Bacon: thick slices are always the best. Thin slices break easily and burn fast when baking them on the stovetop or in the oven.
- Lettuce: iceberg lettuce is very common and you can use whatever brand or type you want. I prefer the Boston or Butter lettuce, Green Leaf and Romaince Lettuce.
- Tomatoes: the ingredient that adds enough yummy juice to bind everything together. I usually use juicy and medium tomatoes that are firm but ripe. You don’t want a tomato that is overly ripen. This will cause your sandwich to be very muchy.
- Mayonnaise: nothing fancy here, just plain old fashion mayonnaise. You can go a little bit crazy and get a flavored mayonnaise such as a spicy mayonnaise, lime mayonnaise or chimmicurri mayonnaise.
Let not forget the perfect bread knife to slice your sandwich in half before you enjoy it.
How to assemble your BLT Sandwich
Assembling this tasty sandwich is pretty easy, but first, you need to cook the bacon until the strips are crispy.
There are two easy ways to cook bacon. One is by using a griddle pan on the stovetop, and the other is by cooking the bacon strips on a baking sheet in the oven. Both methods work, but the oven method is less messy. Another great tip to remember is thick-cut bacon strips are easier to work with and handle.
So, let’s get started. For this recipe, let’s use the griddle pan method.
- When using a griddle pan, make sure that the pan is nonstick; it will make cleaning much easier.
- Do not add oil, butter or using a cooking spray to oil the pan. The bacon has enough fat, so there is no need for additional fat.
- Do not crowd the pan either. Add the bacon strips to the pan and cook over medium high heat until crispy. You may have to flip the bacon over so they cook evenly.
- If the pan has too much fat from the bacon, pour out the fat into a heat resistant bowl for later use or discard.
- Remove the bacon and let cool and drain on paper towels.
- Next, toast the bread slices.
- Spread at least 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise over the bottom slice and sprinkle salt and pepper for more flavor. Add the lettuce leaves, tomatoes, and bacon.
One of the best ways to enjoy this sandwich is by slicing the sandwich in half. It is much easier to handle and to enjoy.
More sandwich recipes you’ll love
- QUICK AND EASY SALMON MELT SANDWICH
- TASTY AND EASY CHEESY STEAK SANDWICHES
- TURKEY SANDWICH MADE WITH HAITIAN BREAD
- CRUNCHY CABBAGE AND TUNA SALAD SANDWICH
Easy Bacon, Lettuce and Tomatoes Recipe (BLT)
- 8 slices bread
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 large ripe tomatoes thickly sliced
- 4 green lettuce leaves rinsed and spun dry
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash lettuce, dry and set aside. Slice tomatoes into thick slices.
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Toast bread until lightly browned, butter if desired and set aside.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes and bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut in half and serve.
- To cook bacon in the oven, preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Put bacon on the cooking rack and bake for 18-20 minutes or until crisp.
- To cook bacon on a griddle pan, preheat the pan on the stovetop. Place the bacon strips on the pan and cook. Do not crowd the pan. If there is too much fat in the pan, drain and discard. Continue with the remaining strips.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.