There’s something undeniably comforting about a slice of homemade cake. The aroma wafting from the oven, the anticipation of that first bite, and the sweet reward of your baking efforts – it’s pure bliss. And today, we’re taking you on a tropical journey with a delectable Coconut Pound Cake recipe!
This isn’t your average pound cake. We’re infusing it with the rich flavors of coconut, using both coconut milk and rum to create a moist and flavorful crumb. Plus, a light dusting of coconut powder on top adds a touch of elegance and intensifies the coconut experience.
So, gather your ingredients and get ready to bake! But before we dive in, let’s take a closer look at what makes this cake so special:
Ingredients for the Coconut Pound Cake:
- Unsalted butter: The star of the show! Ensure it’s at room temperature for perfect creaming.
- Organic sugar: Not only does organic sugar add sweetness, but it also offers a subtle depth of flavor.
- Large eggs: Room temperature eggs are essential for even mixing and a smooth batter.
- All-purpose flour: Sifted for a light and airy cake.
- Baking powder: Our leavening agent for a beautiful rise.
- Salt: A touch to balance the sweetness and enhance the flavors.
- Vanilla extract and coconut rum: The flavor powerhouses! Use good quality brands for the best results.
- Coconut milk: Adds moisture and a unique coconut taste. Ensure it’s at room temperature as well.
- Coconut powder: The finishing touch for a delightful visual and taste sensation.
Coconut Flakes vs. Coconut Powder:
- Coconut flakes: These are shredded pieces of dried coconut meat. They come in various sizes, from fine to coarse, and can be sweetened or unsweetened. Flakes add texture and visual interest to baked goods, but they don’t dissolve easily. Use them for toppings, decorations, or in cookies and granola bars.
- Coconut powder: This is finely ground, dried coconut meat. It has a concentrated coconut flavor and dissolves readily in liquids. Use it for flavoring smoothies, curries, sauces, or baked goods like this pound cake. It doesn’t provide the same textural bite as flakes.
Tips for baking success:
- Room temperature ingredients: This is crucial for even mixing and a smooth batter. Take out your butter, eggs, and coconut milk an hour before baking.
- Preheat your oven: This ensures consistent baking and prevents the cake from sinking in the center.
- Grease and flour your pan: This helps prevent sticking and makes for easy removal.
- Sift the dry ingredients: This aerates the flour, resulting in a lighter and fluffier cake.
- Cream the butter and sugar: Patience is key here! Beat them until light and fluffy for the best texture.
- Add eggs one at a time: This prevents curdling and ensures even incorporation.
- Alternate wet and dry ingredients: Start and end with dry ingredients to avoid overmixing.
- Don’t overbake: Use a skewer inserted into the center to check for doneness. A few moist crumbs are okay, but it shouldn’t be runny.
- Cool completely before serving: This allows the cake to set and the flavors to meld.
Ready to bake? Follow the instructions provided, and soon your kitchen will be filled with the heavenly aroma of coconut. Slice, sprinkle with coconut powder, and savor every bite of this tropical paradise!
Additional inspiration to bake a Coconut Pound Cake:
- Get creative with the decoration! You can drizzle a glaze made with powdered sugar, coconut milk, and a touch of rum.
- Top with toasted coconut flakes, fresh fruit, or whipped cream for an extra burst of flavor and texture.
- This recipe is easily adaptable. Try adding chopped nuts, pineapple chunks, or even a swirl of chocolate ganache for a unique twist.
So, bake, share, and enjoy! Coconut Pound Cake is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, perfect for any occasion. And remember, baking is all about having fun and expressing your creativity. So, put on your apron, preheat your oven, and get ready to bake a slice of sunshine!
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature,
- 1 cup sugar organic preferably
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract good brand
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut rum good brand
- 3/4 cups coconut milk room temperature
- coconut powder for decoration
- Ingredients must be at room temperature before starting.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Using a baking spray coat the inside or a loaf pan or butter and flour a 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch loaf pan . Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and a set aside. Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 6 to 8 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down bowl. Add vanilla extract and rum and beat for 1 minute. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in small quantity while alternating with coconut milk, and beat until combined.
- Transfer batter to pan and bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes and until a skewer inserted in center of the cake comes out clean or just with a few moist crumbs. Let cool in pan on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet for about 1 hour. Carefully remove cake from pan and place in desired cake holder or platter. Sprinkle coconut powder on top and serve when completely cool.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.