This creamy breadfruit recipe provides a tender base in this light, and tangy vinaigrette, parsley, and shallots add depth of flavor, while olive oil and champagne vinegar pull it all together. A delicious, healthful addition to your dinner meal.
Have you ever had Breadfruit roasted, boiled, baked or fried? If you answer yes, you already know its health benefits. Breadfruit is a staple food in many tropical regions. Very rich in starch, which transforms to sugars when very ripe.
The fruit has a potato-like taste. Some people say that it also tastes like bread. When very ripe it tastes a bit sweet. Usually served with a side of protein or as a snack, breadfruit offers almost half the daily recommended fiber value in one serving.
The fruit is not difficult to cook. The skin is a bit tough to peel. You will need a sharp and a cutting board. And of course be very careful not to hurt yourself while removing the skin.
The fruit is sold in most ethnic markets. It is sold by the pound and can be very pricey. So if you are interested in trying it out, I would suggest buying a small breadfruit.
This recipe I am sharing today is straightforward, and it has an excellent kick to it. The fruit is boiled first, and I added a vinaigrette made with parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, champagne vinegar, shallots, and oil.
Don’t add any store bought dressing because the taste will not be the same. You will not taste the freshness of the ingredients. The vinaigrette enhances the flavor of the breadfruit. With the right balance of ingredients, you will create a side dish you can enjoy with your next meal.
Breadfruit with Shallots and Parsley Vinaigrette
- 1 - 3 to 4 pound breadfruit
- 1 tablespoon vinegar such as white wine or champagne vinegar or rice wine
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 - 2 sprigs parsley finely chopped
- With a sharp knife, cut the breadfruit in half to easier peel off the skin.
- Remove the core and cut in medium size to large size cubes.
- Place the pieces into a large pot fill with water. Add salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook the breadfruit until fully cooked.
- While the the breadfruit are cooking, prepare the vinaigrette.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the vinegar and salt until the salt begins to dissolve.
- Gradually add the oil while whisking rapidly. Whisk in the pepper, chopped parsley, and minced shallots. Taste the vinaigrette and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove the breadfruit pieces from the water and mix while hot with the vinaigrette. Serve immediately with a side protein (meat, poultry or seafood) or vegetables only.