This rich Curly Endive Salad with Roasted Vegetables is the epitome of all salads. It combines the flavors of sweet bell peppers, red onion, roasted gourmet mushrooms, roasted butternut squash, and roasted tomatoes. Healthy, delicious, and easy to make.
This salad is perfect for serving alongside our favorite Jerk style-inspired dishes, Tender and Delicious Jerk Lamb and Roasted Jerk Coconut Chicken. These dishes’ spiciness complements the crunchy, lightly sweet taste of the salad—The perfect leafy green salad for an excellent dinner with the family.
Leafy greens make the perfect salad choice for any occasion. Whether you’re having a simple or elegant meal, there are two significant components to salad making to consider. One feature is to know the type of ingredients to combine, and the second is the dressing.
Curly Endive Salad Recipes
Leafy green salads made with curly endive tend to follow with a sweet and tangy salad dressing. Our previous blog post discovered that Curly Endive, also known as Chicory, or Curly Chicory, is a bitter green that can add texture and flavor to several dishes. This vegetable adds a beautiful base to any leafy green salad.
Several recipes are available on the web, and many of them always contain a hint of sweetness. The main reason for the sweetness from other ingredients is the slightly bitter taste of the curly endive leaves. Other potent tasting ingredients are needed to mellow out the bitter flavor of the greens.
How to make the recipe
To make the salad ahead of time, roast all the vegetables except the endive the day before. When ready, wash the curly endive, remove the excess water, and combine the roasted vegetables, followed by the Lemon Vinaigrette.
If making the day you want to enjoy this delicious salad,
- Cut or slice all your veggies.
- Roast the sweet red bell pepper, mushroom, carrots, butternut squash, and onion in an oven at 400 degrees or 20 minutes or until cooked but still crunchy.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the curly endive and the lemon vinaigrette.
- When ready, layer the ingredients, followed by drizzling the lemon vinaigrette.
Tips for cleaning/washing whole curly endive.
- Spray the entire head with vinegar.
- Rinse under running water
- Dry using a salad spinner before or after chopping.
- 6 cups curly endive – 1 full head of curly endive chopped the leaves about 1-inch size
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms halved (portobello, oysters, etc. (4 oz gourmet blend – crimini, shiitake, oyster mushrooms)
- 2-3 carrots peeled and halved lengthwise (medium-size carrots)
- 1 cups cubed peeled butternut squash about 1/2 pound
- 1 red bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 1 large red onion sliced (roast with veggies)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cups grape vine cherry tomatoes halved (not sure) with stems
- Lemon Vinaigrette or your salad dressing preference
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss and season each ingredient (mushroom, carrot, butternut squash, bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes, separately) with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the vegetables to a greased shallow roasting pan(s). Roast 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place cleaned and chopped endive on a large plate and arrange the roasted vegetables.
- Serve the salad and roasted vegetables with the lemon vinaigrette on the side.
- This salad can easily feed 8-10 people.
- Serve the vinaigrette on the side so everyone can drizzle the amount of dressing they want on their salad.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.